Friday, October 3, 2014

Comedians Do Feminism

My brain is a little too fried to provide an engaging review of feminist issues this month.  But luckily for me, several of our nations' finest satirists have done the job for me!

John Oliver over at HBO's Last Week Tonight has taken on the wage gap and beauty pageants.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart took on catcalling not once but twice!  They also took on sexy Halloween costumes last year, but it's worth a watch.

AND, the people down at South Park produced a devastating episode about Photoshop and its impact on kids (sorry only Hulu+ at the moment).

Key & Peele have also had some good sketches, but I can't find any available videos at the moment.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. All the links were broken for some reason! I fixed them . . . I haven't watched all of these but I have to say Last Week Tonight's piece on the Miss American pageant is really great . . . touches on so many issues of gender inequality and sexism. I'm really grateful for all the research they did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for fixing the links! I'm keeping an eye on that South Park episode and will send an update as soon as its freely available (not Hulu+). I know South Park isn't everyone's cup of tea but they've done a better job than most showing how terrible photoshop (and people's reactions to it) can be for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita Sarkeesian discussing Gamergate on Colbert! Its a good 5 minute interview summarizing the big points.

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/706966

    ReplyDelete
  4. The South Park episode about Photoshop is finally available on Hulu without a Hulu+ subscription. I highly recommend it.

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/572926

    ReplyDelete