Friday, November 1, 2013

Lean In: A Mini Review

Since TwoEsforMee started us off with Sheryl Sandberg and her Lean In campaign, and I just finished the Lean In audiobook, I thought I'd use my first post as a mini book review/commentary.

Final verdict: Important message but flawed vehicle. 

by Sheryl Sandberg
Published: 2013
Audiobook read by Eliza Donovan

As the author describes early in her book, there are two broad approaches to the women in the workplace issue.  I will call them the institutional perspective and the leadership perspective.  The institutional perspective tends to highlight the systemic barriers facing women: sexism, inadequate childcare and/or maternity leave, inflexible scheduling, etc.  For a recent paper from this perspective, see Anne-Marie Slaughter's "Why Women Still Can't Have It All" in the July/August 2012 issue of The Atlantic magazine.

Sandberg acknowledges this approach but focuses on the leadership perspective.  Based on her personal experience she writes from the perspective that little will change unless women are in positions to make those changes.  While our society and institutions don't support us yet, we shouldn't just give up.  With this in mind, she offers strategies to work through difficulties and reach leadership positions in our careers. 

Here are some of the main points:
  • There are many behaviors women employ that can sabotage their journeys: keeping a low profile (sit at the table), avoiding risk (what would you do if you weren't afraid), passing on opportunities based on very long-term plans (don't leave before you leave).
  • There are communication strategies that can help navigate the sometimes-hostile professional world.
  • Life partners can and should be life partners, especially with housework, childcare, etc.
  • We have unrealistic expectations for motherhood, housekeeping, and career perfection.
  • We should be able to talk about women's issues.
While these points are valuable, I will admit to being disappointed with the work.  Part of this comes from the my own bias and the audio version probably offered a different experience than reading the book myself.  For example, the reader they chose for the audiobook sounded very cutesy, so I had a hard time taking the content seriously (sexism 1, feminism 0).  I also reacted badly to a women sounding pushy and touting herself, which was one of her points about society's reaction to women in leadership . . . embarrassing but lesson learned.

Despite these problems on my part, I still think the book has flaws.  It offers an introduction to many of the issues facing women in the workplace, but the book's organization is haphazard and its content thin in many respects.  Too many anecdotes and not enough research for my taste.   The author would have done better to condense her material into a strong article or to collect more research to strengthen the book's content.  Sandberg's message-- you can do it, don't give up -- is very important (I was quite depressed after reading Anne-Marie Slaughter's article) but her book is a bit of a mess.

Looking forward to your hate mail, I mean your thoughtful discussion . . .

Morghan


6 comments:

  1. This book and article came up during one of our staff meetings last week. I work in a small office of four strong passionate women who may not have it all, but have been successful in their work after each following very unique paths. While I haven't read the book (though I did read the Slaughter article) I don't particularly care for the "lean in" movement and I find it interesting that you mention that the book is majorly anecdotal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about reading this book for a while to see what I think. It is great to hear some opinions from people I know. I'm wondering does the book give any tangible suggestions for how to do these things and change your behaviors, like examples of how to advocate for yourself or ways to boost your conference or network with other women?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to write "boost your confidence," by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To L's comment, yes, she has some concrete suggestions, especially with regards to communication. Many are helpful, although some contradict things she says in other chapters. This reflects both the book's organizational problems, but also the catch-22 women face in the workforce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still struggling over this book 2 weeks after finishing it. It includes some very useful information and has clearly helped many women. I would not dissuade anyone from reading it and judging for themselves.

    Ultimately though, my lasting impression is one of disappointment. There was potential here to produce a solid book championing women in the workforce and helping them reach leadership positions. However, the book feels cobbled together and fell short of my high expectations. I wonder whether the author was the best person to attempt this, but then who would be best?

    I secretly wish someone had gotten a group of professional women in a room with leading researchers and together they published a comprehensive handbook saying a) here are the problems, b) here's what you can do about them, and c) here are examples of women who managed it.

    Until someone does that, Lean In is doing its small part to fill the void.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Too many anecdotes and not enough research for my taste."

    I can see what you me. For me, the book worked in a lot of ways because I liked that it felt like Sheryl was just sitting me down and telling me all the stuff she wished she knew at the beginning of her career.

    I'm a sucker for ppl being vulnerable and simply talking honestly about their experiences, but I can sympathize with feeling how some more research could have equipped this book with more to offer other readers.

    Great blog post! Thank you for covering this.

    ReplyDelete